Selected Recent Publications
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Yamin, AE, Boulanger, VM, Falb, KL, Shuma, J, Leaning, J. Costs of Inaction on Maternal Mortality: Qualitative Evidence of the Impacts of Maternal Deaths on Living Children in Tanzania. PLoS ONE 2013; 8(8): e71674. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0071674
- Dougherty, S, Leaning, J, Greenough, PG, Burkle, F, Jr. Hunger Strikers: Ethical and Legal Dimensions of Medical Complicity in Torture at Guantanamo Bay. PDM, 2013, in press.
- Leaning J. Spiegel P, Crisp J. Public health equity in refugee settings. Conflict and Health. May 16,2011; 5:6.
- Bartels S, Scott J, Leaning J, Kelly J, Joyce N, Mukwege D, VanRooyen M. Psychosocial consequences of xexual violence in South Kivu Province, Democratic Republic of Congo. Journal of Peace, Gender, and Development Studies, 2011; 1(2): 48-52.
- Bartels S, Scott J, Leaning J, Mukwege D, Lipton R, VanRooyen M. Surviving sexual violence in Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Journal of International Women’s Studies, 2010; 11(4): 37-49.
- Bartels S, Scott J, Mukwege D, Lipton R, VanRooyen M, Leaning J. Patterns of sexual violence in Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo: reports from survivors presenting to Panzi Hospital in 2006. Conflict and Health, 2010; 4(9): 1-5.
- Hill K, Seltzer W, Leaning J, Malik SJ, Russell SS. The demographic impact of partition in the Punjab in 1947. Population Studies 2008;62(2):155-170.
- Leaning J. The dilemma of neutrality. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine. Vol. 22, No. 4. July 2007. pp 300-304.
- Leaning J, VanRooyen M. An assessment of mortality studies in Darfur, 2004-2005. Humanitarian Exchange 2005;30:23-6.
- Walker P, Wisner B, Leaning J., Minear L. Smoke and mirrors: deficiencies in disaster funding. BMJ 2005: 330; 247-50.
Reviews, Chapters, and Editorials:
- Leaning J. Segaren N, Brophy-Williams S. Chapter 6: Digital Technology in humanitarian response: harnessing information to support best outcomes. World Disaster Report 2013, in progress.
- Leaning J, Lappi MD. Commentary: Fighting a war, sparing civilians. 2011 September; 378: 857-859
- Leaning J. Enforced displacement of civilian populations in war: A potential new element in crimes against humanity. International Criminal Law Review. 2011, 11:445-462.
- Leaning J. A public health approach to warfare. In: Machlis GE, et al eds. Warfare ecology: A new synthesis for peace and security. NATO Science for Peace and Security Series C: Environmental Security. Springer Sciences + Business Media B.V., 2011.
- Leaning J. Use of patterns in crisis mapping. In: Rotberg R, ed. Mass Atrocity Crimes: Preventing Future Outrages. Brookings Institution Press. Washington, DC, 2010
- Leaning J, Bartels S, Mowafi H. Sexual violence during war and forced migration. In: Martin SF, Tirman J, eds. Women, migration and conflict. Springer Verlag. New York, NY, 2010.
- Leaning J. Human security. In Green M, ed. Risking human security: Attachment and public life. Karnac Books. London, 2008.
- Leaning J. Disasters and emergency planning. In: International Encyclopedia of Public Health, Zwi A et al, eds. Elsevier, 2008.
- Leaning J. Health and human security in the twenty-first century. In: Brauch H. Facing Global Environmental Change. Springer Verlag. New York, NY, 2009.
- Leaning J. The brutality of war. In: Levy B and Sidel V. War and Public Health. London: Oxford University Press; 2007.
Monographs and Reports:
- Leaning J, Meier P. Applying technology to crisis mapping and early warning in humanitarian settings. Working Paper, Harvard Humanitarian Initiative. Cambridge, MA, 2010.
- Leaning J, Rubenstein L, Jaha L, Pott H. Perilous medicine: The legacy of oppression and conflict on health in Kosovo. Physicians for Human Rights. Cambridge, MA, 2009.
- Hirschfeld K, Leaning J, Crosby S, et al. Nowhere to turn: Failure to protect, support and assure justice for Darfuri women. Physicians for Human Rights and Harvard Humanitarian Initiative. Cambridge, MA, 2009.
- Leaning J. Public health equity in refugee situations: a review of UNHCR policy and practice. A report for the United Nations High Commission for Refugees. Geneva, Switzerland, 2008. http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/home/opendocPDFViewer.html?docid=4bdfe1699&query=Public%20health%20equity%20in%20refugee%20situations:%20a%20review%20of%20UNHCR%20policy%20and%20practice.,%202008
- Heffernan J, Leaning J, VanRooyen M, et al. Assault on survival in Darfur: A call for security, justice, and restitution. Cambridge: Physicians for Human Rights; 2005.
- Gingerich T, Leaning J. The Use of rape as a weapon of war in the conflict in Darfur, Sudan. Boston: United States Agency for International Development; 2004.
- Physicians for Human Rights calls for intervention to save lives in Sudan: Field team compiles indicators of genocide. Boston: Physicians for Human Rights; 2004.
- Lautze S, Aklilu Y, Raven-Roberts A, Young H, Kebede G Leaning J. Risk and vulnerability in Ethiopia: Learning from the past, responding to the present, preparing for the future. A report for United States Agency for International Development. Medford and Boston: Feinstein International Famine Center and Inter-University Initiative on Humanitarian Studies and Field Practice; 2003.
- Holleufer G, Briton N, Leaning J. Report on People in War. Overview and country reports prepared for the International Committee of the Red Cross. Boston: Francois-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights, Harvard School of Public Health; 2001.
- Leaning J, Arie S. Human security: A framework for analysis in settings of crisis and transition. Working Paper Series 11/8. Cambridge: Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies; 2001.