History and Purpose
Harvard School of Public Health established the Volunteer Leadership Award in 2003 to publicly recognize the outstanding work of the School’s most dedicated volunteers. The award is made on an annual basis at the meeting of the Leadership Council.
The School designates internal funds to support a student scholarship carrying the award winner’s name for one year.
The recipient of the Volunteer Leadership Award each year exemplifies the following qualities and actions in support of the School:
- Has developed a deep understanding of Harvard School of Public Health and its mission and purpose.
- Has served as a visible and active spokesperson and advocate for the School externally or elsewhere in Harvard University.
- Has served as an active member of various volunteer committees.
- Has demonstrated leadership as a volunteer and earned the trust and respect of fellow volunteers.
- Has helped to further the resource development agenda of the School through personal philanthropy, solicitation of potential donors, and/or attraction of new gifts to the School.
|Award Recipients||Scholarship Recipients|
|2013||Nancy Lukitsh, MBA ’80||TBA|
|2012||Lilian Cheung, SM ’75, SD ’78 and Lee Chin, SM ’75, SD ’79||Juan Wu, SD ’16|
|2011||Maurice Tempelsman and Deeda Blair||Wen Xie, PHD ’16|
|2010||Roslyn B. Payne, MBA ’70||Mara Hansen, SM ’11|
|Fall 2009||Mary Paci||Livia Montana, SD ’11|
|Spring 2009||Julius and Joan Jacobson||Chunyan He, SD ’09|
|2007||Phyllis Collins and Christine Allen||Annie Chu, SM ’07, SD ’11|
|2006||Mitchell L. Dong, AB ’75 and Robin LaFoley Dong||Manish Kakkar, MPH ’07|
|2005||Steve Kay, AB ’56, MBA ’58||Lingling Zhang, SD ’11|
|2004||Richard Menschel, MBA ’59||Lawrence Cheng, MPH ’05|
|2003||Julie Henry, MPH ’91||Gaston Sorgho, DPH ’10|