Friends and admirers of Dr. Richard Levins organized a three-day symposium, May 21-23, 2015, to honor his 85th birthday and his career as a scientist for the people. The event will take place at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, as described below. His 85th birthday was actually a week after the symposium, on June 1, 2015.
The THEME of this mid-May 2.5-day event was “The Truth Is the Whole“!
If you’re unfamiliar with Hegel or with this theme from Hegel, personal benefits can accrue from your investing some time in learning more about the depth of this conversation about knowledge, judgment, and reality.
The deadline for registration has past! Attendees paid $120 registration for the food, music, venue, and meeting with Dr. Levins during this 2.5-day event.
This permanent WordPress site includes:
(a) event information (schedule and costs, abstracts for the talks, PowerPoints, lodging, travel helps, etc.),
(b) event registration and costs,
(c) on-demand video or link hosting for videos from the 2.5-day event.
(d) “Fond Memories of Professor Levins” (e-mail your “fond memories” here)
(e) some freely readable online writings by Dr. Richard Levins
(f) some videos of Dr. Richard Levins giving lectures
(g) background information on Dr. Richard Levins and his work, such as
(i) career photos of Richard Levins throughout his working life and
(i) these Wikipedia articles-by-a-committee on Richard ‘Dick Levins in languages spoken by some of his deepest admirers (please contact us before starting such a translation project because we may already have a volunteer contributor):
- Japanese – in process
- Vietnamese – in process (only two paragraphs by start of Symposium start)
- Traditional Mandarin Chinese (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore) – in process
- Simplified Mandarin Chinese (Mainland China) – in process
- Latin (“stub” article which should be BUILT before symposium),
- Middle East
- Shona (a West African language)
These planned three days of events will take place at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health in Boston from Thursday evening through Saturday evening, May 21-23, 2015.
As last time (in 2000), the theme will be “The Truth is the Whole,” from Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit. The program will include scientific talks (or political talks or science-for-the-people-type talks) and—probably mostly on Saturday evening—poetry, music, and testimonials.
The 3-day program will take the following general shape:
Thursday, May 21:
- 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm, Reception
Friday, May 22:
- 8:00 am, Breakfast
- 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Symposium (with coffee/tea and lunch breaks)
Saturday, May 23:
- 8:00 am, Breakfast
- 9:00 am – 3:45 pm, Symposium (with coffee/tea and lunch breaks)
- 3:45 – 4:00 pm – Group PHOTO on the Courtyard steps
- 5:00 pm, Reception
- 7:00 pm, Dinner in HMS Atrium (with poetry, music, and testimonials)
- Wikipedia Pages for Dr. Richard “Dick” Levins
- Lodging for Levins85 Symposium: May 21-23
- ‘Stay connected digitally’ with “The Truth is the Whole” Facebook FAN PAGE
- Sustainable Food Systems: a 2-Day Symposium at University of Michigan School of Public Health – March 24-25, 2015
- Register for the event and BE HERE for all three days. Email your intent to attend.