Background & Research Interests
Dr. Wang is an Associate Professor of Community Health Sciences at the Boston University School of Public Health, an Adjunct Associate Professor of Health Policy and Management at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and an Associate Director of Narrative at the BU Center for Antiracist Research.
Dr. Wang is nationally recognized as a leading health equity researcher in obesity and chronic disease prevention. She directs community-engaged research to target racial inequities in health and pursues cross-sector collaborations to promote health and health equity through public health interventions and policies. Dr. Wang has generated over $4 million in federal and foundation funding for her program of research and published over 50 peer-reviewed manuscripts and over a dozen policy and public engagement documents. One of her current studies is a randomized controlled trial of a youth empowerment intervention to reduce consumption of sugary drinks and obesity risk through youth narratives.
Dr. Wang has received numerous national, regional, and institutional awards for her research, teaching, and service, including the Society of Behavioral Medicine Early Investigator Award, the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce Ten Outstanding Young Leaders Award, and the Boston University School of Public Health Excellence in Teaching Award. At the national level, she advances science communication initiatives through her role as former Chair and current member of the Civic and Public Engagement Committee of the Society of Behavioral Medicine.
As an expert in curriculum design, case-based teaching, online education, and digital learning design, Dr. Wang has developed and taught graduate courses (traditional and hybrid) on the social determinants of health (ID 538, HCM 708, PH 201x, MPH 100) at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and the obesity epidemic (SB800) at the Boston University School of Public Health.
- Associate Director of Narrative, Boston University Center for Antiracist Research
- Associate Professor, Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health
- Chair Emeritus, Civic and Public Engagement Committee, Society of Behavioral Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Ten Outstanding Young Leaders Award, Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, 2018
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Boston University School of Public Health, 2016
- Early Career Investigator Award, Society of Behavioral Medicine, 2016
- Junior Faculty Research Poster Award, Boston University School of Public Health, 2014
- Dissertation Award, Strategic Training Initiative for the Prevention of Eating Disorders, 2012
- Teaching Assistance Award, Harvard School of Public Health, 2010
- Doctoral Student Award, Glickenhaus Fund, Harvard School of Public Health, 2009, 2010
Education and Training
BA, Tufts University (summa cum laude), Medford, MA
MS, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA
ScD, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston MA
Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA