Title and Affiliation
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Center for Nanotechnology and Nanotoxicology
Cell Phone: 509-715-9229
Harvard Email Address: email@example.com
Office Location: SPH1, 1307
Jie Xu is a food microbiologist and food engineer. Jie Xu works as a postdoc researcher at the Ohio State University (2019.7-2020.9). Her post-doc research focuses on understanding thermal, pressure, and shear on the inactivation of bacterial endospores and lactic acid bacteria during the high-pressure homogenization process. Jie Xu completed her Ph.D. study at Washington State University. Her Ph.D. project focuses on understanding the influence of water activity on the thermal resistance of pathogens in dry environment and developing radio-frequency pasteurization to improve the safety of low-moisture foods. Jie completed her master’s degree at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China). The main research activity was the determination of the antimicrobial susceptibility of food-isolated pathogens. Jie Xu will join Dr. Phillip Demokritou’s Center for Nanotechnology and Nanotoxicology in Oct 2020 as a postdoc fellow to develop antimicrobial platforms for public health challenges.
- Food safety and microbiology
- Antimicrobial resistance of foodborne pathogens
- Thermal and non-thermal processing
- Xu J, Song JX, Tan JZ, Villa-Rojas R, Tang JM. Dry-inoculation methods in low-moisture foods. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2020, 103: 68-77.
- Xu J, Shah DH, Song JX, Tang JM. Changes in cellular structure of heat-treated Salmonella in low-moisture environments. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 2020, 129(2): 434-442.
- Xu J, Yang R, Jin YQ, Barnett G, Tang JM. Modeling the temperature-dependent microbial reduction of Enterococcus faecium NRRL B-2354 in radio-frequency pasteurized wheat flour. Food Control. 2020, 107: 106778
- Xu J, Guo S, Xie D, Zhang BH. Blockchain: a new safeguard for agri-foods. Artificial Intelligence in Agriculture. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aiia.2020.08.002
- Xu J, Tang JM, Jin YQ, Yang R, Sablani SS, Zhu MJ. High temperature water activity as a key factor influencing thermal resistance of Salmonella Enteritidis PT30 in thermal processing. Food Control. 2019, 98: 520-528.
- Xu J, Song JX. A Double Life of Freeze-dried Enterococcus faecium in pet food industry. American Journal of Biomedical Science & Research. 2019, 5 (6), 486-488
- Xu J, Liu SX, Tang JM, Ozturk S, Kong FB, Shah DH. Application of freeze-dried Enterococcus faecium NRRL B2354 in radio-frequency pasteurization of wheat flour. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2018, 90: 124-131.
- Xu J, Liu SX, Song JX, Tang JM, Zhu MJ, Gray P, Villa-Rojas R. Dry-inoculation method for thermal inactivation studies in wheat ﬂour using freeze-dried Enterococcus faecium NRRL B-2354. LWT – Food Science and Technology. 2018, 89: 10-17.
- Xu J, Shi CL, Song MH, Xu XB, Yang PY, George P, Shi XM. Phenotypic and genotypic antimicrobial resistance traits of food-borne Staphylococcus aureus isolates from Shanghai. Journal of Food Science. 2014, 79(4): 635-642.
- Guo S, Xu J, Estell AP, Ivory CF, Du D, Y Lin, Dong WJ. Paper-based ITP technology: An application to specific cancer-derived exosome detection and analysis. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2020, 112292.