The Internal Advisory Committee (IAC) formally will meet annually with the Center leadership team to provide strategic and programmatic review of the effectiveness of the Center in promoting environmental health research in the Longwood Medical Area and Harvard University. IAC members, however, are all local and can be consulted on an ad hoc basis throughout the year. The IAC is composed of senior Harvard Chan School faculty representing specific disciplines core to the Center mission. The members of the IAC are:
- Gina McCarthy, Professor of the Practice of Public Health, Director of the Center for Health and the Global Environment, Department of Environmental Health. As former EPA Administrator, Ms. McCarthy brings unparalleled experience in translating environmental health science into policy and practice.
- Ichiro Kawachi, John L. Loeb and Frances Lehman Loeb Professor of Social Epidemiology
Chair, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Kiwachi literally wrote the book on Social Epidemiology(1) and has been a leader in examining the joint effects of the physical/chemical and social/contextual environmental on health.(2)
- Wafaie Fawzi, Richard Saltonstall Professor of Population Sciences, Professor of Nutrition, Epidemiology, and Global Health, Chair of the Department of Global Health and Population. Dr. Fawzi’s research focusses on the discovery and translation of interventions to enhance maternal and child health and development, in the United States and developing countries in Africa and Asia.
- Murray Mittleman, Professor of Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology. Mittleman’s research group at the Institute for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease is actively involved in research into both the primary and secondary prevention of acute cardiovascular events. He has developed and used advanced epidemiologic methods to address risk factors for cardiovascular disease including occupational and environmetnal exposures.
- Petros Koutrakis, Professor of Environmental Sciences, Department of Environmental Health. Dr. Koutrakis’ research activities focus on the development of human exposure measurement techniques. He is currently directing the EPA-sponored Harvard/MIT Air, Climate, and Energy Center.
- Russ Hauser, Frederick Lee Hisaw Professor of Reproductive Physiology and Chair of the Department of Environmental Health. As Chair of the home department for the Center, Dr. Hauser will serve as Chair of the Internal Advisory Committee.