Brown Rice Pancakes
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1¼ cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- ½ red pepper, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 to 4 scallions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg white (or 2 tablespoons of packaged egg whites)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons flour
- Combine brown rice, water, and a pinch of salt in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Stir in cabbage, red pepper, ginger, and garlic, sautéing until peppers are tender and cabbage is just wilted. Combine the cabbage mixture with the cooked rice; add scallions, soy sauce, and sesame oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add one egg white (or 2 tablespoons of packaged egg whites) and 1 tablespoon flour, and mix. Test the mixture, adding flour until you can form a small ball that stays together. If the mixture gets too dry, add a small amount of skim milk or egg white to loosen it (begin with 1 tablespoon of either skim milk or egg white).
- Drop 2-ounce balls onto a hot dry griddle and flatten gently with your palm (if the mixture sticks to your palms, you can dip your hand in water). Grill each side until the pancake is firm, about 2 minutes per side.
Nutrition facts:Per 1/12 of recipe (1 pancake) 90 calories 3 grams of protein 15 grams of carbohydrates 1 grams of fiber 75 milligrams of sodium 2 grams of fat
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.