Forbidden Rice with Scallions
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- ½ cup “Forbidden” black rice (available in specialty supermarkets)
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable broth and apple cider to a boil. Add the brown rice and the black rice, stir, and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Halfway through the cooking process, heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until shallots are translucent and soft, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until rice is finished.
- Fold shallots into the rice, and add salt (if desired) and pepper to taste. Top with scallions and serve warm.
Nutrition facts:Per 1/4 of recipe 220 calories 4 grams of protein 40 grams of carbohydrates 2 grams of fiber 170 milligrams of sodium 4 grams of fat
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.