This simple and delicious brown bread gets its hearty flavor from whole wheat flour.
Irish Brown Bread
- 3 cups coarse whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift and mix the flours, soda, salt, and sugar. Add the buttermilk and mix thoroughly. Stir in the melted butter.
- Lightly flour worktop. Make a dough round and cut a deep cross in the middle of the loaf.
- Bake in 375 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when knocked.
Nutrition facts:Per 1 slice, or 1/10 of recipe 200 calories 7 grams of protein 36 grams of carbohydrates 4 grams of fiber 400 milligrams of sodium 2 grams of fat ( 2 grams of saturated fat ) 10 milligrams of cholesterol
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.