Mushroom Barley Risotto
* 1 cup pearled barley
* 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
* ½ medium onion, diced
* 1 medium stalk celery, diced
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 cup mushrooms, washed and sliced
* 1 medium tomato, diced
* 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
* 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, minced
* 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
* Salt (optional) and pepper to taste
- Rinse the barley. Pour the broth into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the barley and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all the broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- After the barley has been cooking for about 10 minutes, start the vegetables: Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the carrot and onion and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the celery, garlic, and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms begin to sweat, about 4 minutes.
- Gently fold the carrot mixture, diced tomato, chives, and tarragon into the barley. Season with salt (if desired) and pepper to taste. Top with chopped parsley and serve warm.
Nutrition facts:Per 1/4 of recipe 240 calories 6 grams of protein 47 grams of carbohydrates 9 grams of fiber 190 milligrams of sodium 4 grams of fat
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.