French Onion Soup with Beef Broth
Recipe courtesy of Harvard University Dining Services
Cook Time 1.5 hrs.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces butter
- 25 pounds white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry sherry or cognac
- 5 gallons beef stock
- 4 ounces fresh thyme, chopped
- 8 ounces chives, chopped
- 1 ounce black pepper
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add butter and oil. When butter is melted, add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally so onions do not burn.
- As soon as onions start to brown, approximately 15 minutes, reduce heat to medium-low and stir more often, until onions are a rich brown color, about 45 minutes.
- Add sherry or cognac and beef stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add thyme, chives, and pepper. Serve.
Nutrition facts:Per 1/100 of recipe 92 calories 2 grams of protein 11 grams of carbohydrates 2 grams of fiber 7 grams of sugar 735 milligrams of sodium 3 grams of fat ( 1 grams of saturated fat ) 3 milligrams of cholesterol
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.