Wheat Berries and Chives
- ¾ cup wheat berries
- ¼ cup brown rice
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- Reconstitute the raisins by microwaving them in 1 cup of water for 2 minutes; drain.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over high heat.
- Add the wheat berries to the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Simmer the wheat berries for about 30 minutes, then add brown rice, and cover. Continue simmering the grains until all the liquid has been absorbed and the grains are tender, an additional 30 to 40 minutes. If the grains dry out before they are tender, add a small amount of water, as needed.
- Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until it is tender. Set aside.
- When the grains are tender, remove from heat. Add the onions, raisins, and chives, toss gently, and serve.
Nutrition facts:Per 1/4 of recipe 230 calories 9 grams of protein 65 grams of carbohydrates 7 grams of fiber 310 milligrams of sodium
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.