White Bean, Wheat Berry and Escarole Soup
* 7 pounds white beans, picked over
* 5 cups wheat berries
* 5 gallons vegetable stock
* 2 pounds white onion, chopped
* 2 pounds carrots, chopped
* 2 pounds celery, chopped
* 5 bay leaves
* 6 pounds escarole, chopped and cleaned
* 4 ounces garlic, chopped
* 4 ounces fresh thyme, chopped
- Soak white beans overnight. In a heavy soup pot, add wheat berries and vegetable stock. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Add drained beans and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and skim froth. Add onions, carrots, celery and bay leaves and simmer covered until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- In blender or food processor, puree 1 ½ gallons of soup. Stir puree into soup with escarole and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Stir in garlic and fresh thyme. Serve.
Nutrition facts:Per 1/100 of recipe 148 calories 9 grams of protein 26 grams of carbohydrates 8 grams of fiber 3 grams of sugar 477 milligrams of sodium 1 grams of fat
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.