Whole Wheat Penne with Pistachio Pesto and Cherry Tomatoes
- About 1½ cups pistachios, unsalted, roasted, shelled (8 ounces)
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup pecorino cheese, grated fresh (1 ounce)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup silken tofu, reduced-fat (about 3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole wheat penne pasta, hot, cooked (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup pasta cooking water, reserved
- Place pistachios, mint leaves, pecorino cheese, and garlic in a food processor and process until finely minced. Add tofu and lemon juice. Process until smooth. With processor on, slowly pour oil through food chute, and process until well blended. Reserve.
- Combine penne, cherry tomatoes, and pesto in a large bowl; toss gently. Use pasta water to thin as needed.
Nutrition facts:Per 1/4 of recipe 630 calories 26 grams of protein 62 grams of carbohydrates 14 grams of fiber 270 milligrams of sodium 33 grams of fat ( 5 grams of saturated fat 19 grams of monounsaturated fat 9 grams of polyunsaturated fat ) 5 milligrams of cholesterol
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.