Student evaluations of courses are one important tool for improving the quality of teaching and learning at the Harvard Chan School. Course instructors value students’ honest and constructive feedback, and the school uses these evaluations to make improvements to courses and to the overall quality of education here.
For Students and Other Harvard Community Members (Harvard Key required)
- Starting Summer 2020, all course evaluations can be viewed in the Harvard Q App
- For courses prior to Summer 2020, please visit the Public Course Evaluation Sharepoint.
For ONLY Teaching Assistants (Harvard Key required)
- Starting Summer 2020, all Teaching Assistant reports can be accessed in Blue Explorance
- Teaching Assistants: if you need your TA course evaluation prior to Summer 2020, please contact the Office of Educational Programs at email@example.com.
For ONLY Faculty (Harvard Key required)
- Starting Summer 2020, all instructor or departmental reports can be accessed in Blue Explorance
- For courses prior to Summer 2020, please utilize the Faculty Course Evaluation Sharepoint
Short Video Tutorials (Click to Watch)Submitting and Viewing Course Evaluations as a Student Viewing Current Blue Reports and Dashboard as a Faculty Member or TA Viewing Prior Academic Year Reports in Blue Public View Course Evaluation Sharepoint for Evaluations Prior to Summer 2020 Faculty & Administrator View of Course Evaluations Prior to Summer 2020
Harvard Chan Student Ratings and Comments on Courses Taken at Other Schools
- Ratings and Comments for Spring 2021
- Ratings and Comments for Fall 2020
- Ratings and Comments for Spring 2019
- Ratings and Comments for Fall 2018
- Ratings and Comments for Spring 2018
- Rating and Comments for Fall 2017
- Ratings and Comments for Spring 2017
- Ratings and Comments for Fall 2016 and WinterSession 2017
- Ratings and Comments for AY 2015-2016
Course Evaluation Timeline AY 2021 – 2022
|Monday, June 21, 2021||Friday, July 9, 2021||Monday, July 19, 2021|
|Monday, July 19, 2021||Friday, September 3, 2021||Monday, September 13, 2021|
Summer 2 & Summer
|Monday, August 9, 2021||Friday, September 3, 2021||Monday, September 13, 2021|
|Monday, October 18, 2021||Friday, November 5, 2021||Monday, November 15, 2021|
Fall 2 & Fall
|Monday, December 13, 2021||Friday, January 7, 2022||Monday, January 18, 2022|
|Monday, January 24, 2022||Friday, February 11, 2022||Monday, February 21, 2022|
|Monday, March 7, 2022||Friday, March 25, 2022||Monday, April 4, 2022|
Spring 2 & Spring
|Monday, May 9, 2022||Friday, May 27, 2022||Monday, June 6, 2022|
Questions and Answers about the Course Evaluation System
How do I complete my course evaluations?
- On the final Monday of each term, you will receive a direct link in an email to access your course evaluation forms. Depending on the term, evaluations typically stay open for three-four weeks following the opening of the system.
- Shortly before this email is sent, holds will be placed on your grades until your course evaluations are completed. Please note, holds do not apply to registration.
- Once you login, you will be able to see links to all the evaluations that are ready for you to complete. Please complete an evaluation for each course listed.
- Only those students officially enrolled for credit in a course may complete a course evaluation. Unfortunately, it is not possible for auditors to submit an online evaluation.
- Students enrolled in yearlong courses are expected to evaluate the whole year rather than just the Spring component of the class. Exception: students enrolled in yearlong courses that were evaluated at the end of the Fall semester should evaluate only the Spring component.
What to consider when providing feedback?
- The feedback should be specific, focused and respectful. It should also address aspects of the course, the teaching and your commitment to the learning experience, that are positive as well as those that need improvement.
- Please keep in mind that comments unrelated to teaching effectiveness, student learning and the classroom environment diminish the value of your feedback.
How are course evaluations used at the School?
Course evaluations are used in many ways:
- By course instructors to improve their courses and teaching
- By departments and programs to assess and improve courses and curricula
- By various committees to assess and improve teaching and learning effectiveness
- By teaching assistants to improve their teaching and classroom effectiveness and as part of their teaching portfolio when looking for jobs after graduation
- By your fellow students when selecting courses
- By award committees for selecting the School’s annual teaching award winners
Which courses are evaluated?
- All courses are evaluated except for courses with fewer than 5 students and 300 and 400 level courses (e.g., labs and independent and research study sections). New courses are occasionally evaluated by Harvard’s Bok Center for Teaching and Learning when they are first offered.
Are results anonymous?
- Instructors are unable to see ANY course evaluation information until their grades have been submitted and finalized for the particular course.
- Instructor cannot see any individual course evaluations or connect responses with an individual student. Unless a student self-identifies in the written comments, all responses are anonymous.
Who sees my responses/comments?
- No one can see your individual response.
- Student feedback is viewable by the course instructors, TA’s, the department administrator and staff in the Office of Education.
- Each instructor can see an analysis of the responses from all students who completed the course evaluation.
- Select faculty members and administrators may view more detailed results for courses if they have an educational oversight role at the school (e.g., certain staff in the Office of Education).
- The Office of Education uses the course evaluations as part of regular education reports it provides to departments and program directors.
For Faculty, Staff and Teaching Assistants
When will course evaluation results be available?
- Course evaluation results are available three-four weeks after grade deadline, in order to prevent evaluations from being influenced by grades and vice versa, assuming you have posted your grades.
- Evaluation results are released to instructors a week following the close of the system each term.
Which parts of the course evaluation survey can instructors see?
- Instructors can view all ratings and feedback for the course, including co-instructors.
Which parts of the course evaluation survey are available to TAs access?
- Teaching Assistants will see all ratings for the School-wide questions and the quantitative and qualitative responses that apply to them.
Identifying Resources to Improve Your Course
- Please visit the Office of Education’s Teaching Support and Learning Strategies website to identify resources to help improve your course.
- How to make sense of my student evaluations? Helpful resource from the Center for Innovation for Teaching and Learning at Lehigh University.
- The Instructional Design team has a wide range of expertise and interests to support the abilities and curriculum of the School, and can provide consultations. To request a consultation, please contact Sejal Vashi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the course evaluation process or if you are experiencing technical difficulties, please contact Jennifer Betancourt or Sarah Stillman at email@example.com.
The course evaluation system is administered through the Office of Education and Information Technology offices at the School.