The Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies (HCPDS) is dedicated to understanding how demographic changes and social and physical environments impact global population health worldwide. As a University-wide, interdisciplinary initiative that is administered by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, the HCPDS brings together scientists from all corners of the campus to make critical advances in population research. Located in Harvard Square, we seek a Data Compliance Coordinator to provide support for its research team. This valued position provides data management, data curation, and administrative support for our principal investigators and directors. It involves interacting heavily with faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and associates from various Harvard schools and external partners.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage reviews of research protocols including:
- Institutional Review Board (IRB): Partner with and act as a resource for faculty and junior scholars on crafting and then submitting protocols and modifications; advise HCPDS members of rules and deadlines; serve as liaison between HCPDS users and IRB reviewers.
- Review and submit storing, process, and transmitting Data Use Agreements (DUAs)
- Coordinate data security applications
- Oversee the HCPDS’s Level 4 Certified Restricted Data Enclave (located at 9 Bow St in Cambridge).
- Coordinate and oversee regular software updates on the equipment, manage access for users; create user accounts on the enclave workstation; arrange for ID card swipe access; enforce enclave protocol; and undertake the annual recertification process with HUIT.
- Serve as point of contact for the HCPDS’s data procurement licenses (e.g. Eurostat, HRS, Medicare and Gallup). Communicate with data providers and the users, establish new user accounts, oversee safe storage and destruction of the data, process the contracts through the dua.harvard.edu system, and maintain necessary records.
- Serve as the HCPDS liaison with the Harvard MIT Research Computing Environment (RCE), used by many HCPDS researchers. Serve as manager of user accounts and liaison with the RCE Helpdesk for users. Upload data sets and updates to the RCE from the HCPDS.
- Manage the HCPDS’s datasets stored at Harvard Dataverse (the University’s major data repository). Monitor and file the records of users and downloaders, communicate regularly with Dataverse Helpdesk personnel and assist with posting data and releasing it to data requestors.
- Serve as point person for public use data requests and approvals. Manage all approved requests; correspond with PIs, data users, and other affiliates; track deadlines; and establish new systems in this regard when needed.
- Create, maintain, and archive when necessary all files/records/documentation related to: IRB submissions; DUAs; licenses and service agreements; user requests and approvals; and project data management plans (DMPs). Follow all University compliance rules regarding data curation and archiving.
- Proactively ensure that all affiliates understand and are in compliance with policies and procedures related to human subjects. Serve as a point of contact/main resource for HCPDS affiliates on all matters related to data compliance, management, and curation. Promote compliance awareness across the Center.
- Attend trainings and workshops on topics related to research compliance and data curation
- Perform other duties as assigned
PLEASE NOTE: The primary work location for this position is Cambridge, Massachusetts. Until our return to campus, which is still to-be-determined, this interview process and position will be conducted virtually – including virtual interviews, remote onboarding, and remote work. The remote nature of this position is only temporary. Local, on-campus work will be required as a condition of continued employment once the School and this role return to an operational status that supports it.
- 3+ years of related experience is required; a combination of education and experience may be considered
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree is strongly preferred
- Relevant & progressive administrative experience, preferably in a research or academic setting is strongly preferred. Scientific and/ or research background not required, but is preferred
- Experience drafting data use agreements or IRB applications highly desirable
- Experience using MS Excel, Word, Outlook, Sharepoint, Onedrive strongly preferred
- Strongly detail oriented preferred
- Demonstrated aptitude to manage multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines preferred
- Responsive to requests, and excellent communication skills, both verbal and written preferred
- Takes initiative and work well both independently and as a team member preferred
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference checks and background screenings.
- This position has a 90 day orientation and review (O&R) period. The O&R period will be waived for any internal Harvard employee transfers.
- The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health does not provide visa sponsorship for administrative and staff positions.
For more information and to apply, visit the job listing on aspire.net
Date posted: April 7, 2021