Dr. Qi’s major research interests include:
- Genetic epidemiology of obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Gene-environment interactions in relation to obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Epidemiology of diet and lifestyle on obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Dr. Qi’s current work focus on the inter-relationships of genetic variants, biomarkers, and dietary intakes and other environmental factors with obesity, type 2 diabetes and related diseases by using genome-wide association analysis, G*E interaction and Mendelian randomization approach. He is also interested in the studies of gene-diet interactions on weight-loss and improvement of related metabolic risk factors in clinical trials.
Awards and Honors
2012, Harvard Chinese Public Health Annual Distinguished Research Award
2011, Finalist, AHA Elizabeth Barrett-Connor Research Award in Epidemiology
2011, Scott Grundy Fellowship Award for Excellence in Metabolism
2010, Pfizer Special Award for Outstanding Ph.D. Student, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2008, Zhuli Yuehua Award for Outstanding Ph.D. Student, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Qi Q, Chu AY, Kang JH, Jensen MK, Curhan GC, Pasquale LR, Ridker PM, Hunter DJ, Willett WC, Rimm EB, Chasman DI, Hu FB, Qi L. Sugar-sweetened beverages and genetic risk of obesity. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012 367(15):1387-96.
- Qi Q, Meigs JB, Rexrode KM, Hu FB, Qi L. Diabetes genetic predisposition score and cardiovascular complications among patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes care. 2012 Oct 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Qi Q, Li Y, Chomistek AK, Kang JH, Curhan GC, Pasquale LR, Willett WC, Rimm EB, Hu FB, Qi L. Television watching, leisure-time physical activity and the genetic predisposition in relation to body mass index in women and men. Circulation.2012 126(15):1821-7.
- Qi Q, Qi L. Lipoprotein(a) and cardiovascular disease in diabetic patients. Clinical Lipidology. 2012 7(4): 397-407.
- Mattei J, Qi Q, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L TCF7L2 genetic variants modulate the effect of dietary fat intake on changes in body composition during a weight-loss intervention. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012 96(5):1129-36.
- Zhang X, Qi Q, Liang J, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. Neuropeptide Y promoter polymorphism modifies effects of a weight-loss diet on 2-year changes of blood pressure: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies Trial. Hypertension. 2012 60(5):1169-75.
- Zhang X, Qi Q, Bray GA, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. APOA5 genotype modulates 2-y changes in lipid profile in response to weight-loss diet intervention: the Pounds Lost Trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012 96(4):917-22.
- Li Y*, Qi Q*, Workalemahu T, Hu FB, Qi L. Birth weight, genetic-susceptibility and adulthood risk of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes care. 2012 35(12):2479-84. (*co-first author).
- Zhang X, Qi Q, Zhang C, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. FTO Genotype and 2-year change in body composition and fat distribution in response to weight-loss diets: the Pounds Lost Trial. Diabetes. 2012 61(11):3005-11.
- Qi Q*, Menzaghi C*, Smith S, Liang L, de Rekeneire N, Garcia ME, Lohman KK, Miljkovic I, Strotmeyer ES, Cummings SR, Kanaya AM, Tylavsky FA, Satterfield S, Ding J, Rimm EB, Trischitta V, Hu FB, Liu Y, Qi L. Genome-wide association analysis identifies TYW3/CRYZ and NDST4 loci associated with circulating resistin levels. Human Molecular Genetics. 2012 21(21):4774-80. (*co-first author).
- Qi Q, Forman JP, Jensen MK, Flint A, Curhan GC, Rimm EB, Hu FB, Qi L. Genetic predisposition to high blood pressure associates with cardiovascular complications among patients with type 2 diabetes: two independent studies.Diabetes. 2012 61(11):3026-32.
- Qi Q, Hu FB. Genetics of type 2 diabetes in European populations. Journal of Diabetes. 2012 4(3):203-12.
- Qi Q, Liang L, Doria A, Hu FB, Qi L. Genetic predisposition to dyslipidemia and type 2 diabetes risk in two prospective cohorts. Diabetes. 2012 61(3):745-52.
- Qi Q, Bray GA, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L.Weight-loss diets modify glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide receptor(GIPR) rs2287019 genotype effects on changes in body weight, fasting glucose and insulin resistance: the POUNDS LOST Trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012 95(2):506-13.
- Qi Q, Workalemahu T, Zhang C, Hu FB, Qi L. Genetic variants, plasma lipoprotein(a) levels, and risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality among two prospective cohorts of type 2 diabetes. European Heart Journal. 2012 33(3):325-334.
- Qi Q, Bray GA, Smith SR, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. Insulin receptor substrate 1 gene variation modifies insulin resistance response to weight-loss diets in a 2-year randomized trial: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies (Pounds Lost) Trial. Circulation. 2011 124(5):563-571.