Governing Agencies and Ethics Review Structure
Institutional Research Ethics Committees (REC) are responsible for the ethical evaluation of research protocols on human subjects. These committees are responsible for enforcing institutional guidelines for health research, and for following up on recommendations. Every public, private or social institution for health care, belonging to the national health system will have a Research Ethics Committee. Also involved are:
- Ministry of Health (SSA)
- National Bioethics Commission (CONBIOETICA)
- Mexico’s National Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT) (Spanish)
- Institutional Review Boards in the U.S.- Mexico Border
- National Institute of Public Health of Mexico (INSP)
- Ethics Commission
Points to Consider – Investigators
Submission of initial applications:
- Initial applications must be submitted by a qualified researcher, who is directly responsible for the scientific and ethical conduct of the research. Under certain conditions, a clinical trail sponsor assumed the responsibility for submitting the research application.
- The initial application must be submitted under the responsibility of a qualified counselor/faculty member of the school involved in supervising the research, or the application can be submitted on behalf of the student, jointly signed by the counselor or faculty member.
- All required documentation must be submitted for complete review of the ethical components of the research, as specified in the standard operating procedures of the Committee.
Local Research Institutions
- Facultad de Medicina Unidad Saltillo, Universidad Autónoma de Coahuila
- Colegio de Bioética y Terapia del Estado de Jalisco
- Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública
- Universidad Popular Autónoma del Estado de Puebla
- Universidad Panamericana