Carly (she/her) is an instructor in pediatrics at Harvard Medical School and in the Division of Adolescent/Young Adult Medicine and Division of Endocrinology at Boston Children’s Hospital. She is the co-medical director of the Boston HIV Adolescent Provider and Peer Education Network for Services (HAPPENS) at Boston Children’s Hospital. Her research interests include transgender and gender nonconforming adolescents’ experiences in primary care, the relationship of gender identity to body image, and pre-exposure prophylaxis in adolescents. Carly received her BA in history from Yale University, her master’s in public health from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and her medical degree from the University of Michigan. She completed her residency in pediatrics at Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Guss CE, Wunsch CA, McCulloh R, Donaldson A, Alverson BK. Using the hospital as a venue for reproductive health interventions: a survey of hospitalized adolescents. Hospital pediatrics. 2015 Feb 1; 5(2): 67-73. PubMed PMID: 25646198
- Guss CE, Williams D, Reisner S, Austin S, Katz-Wise S. Disordered Weight Management Behaviors, Nonprescription Steroid Use, and Weight Perception in Transgender Youth. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2017 Jan; 60(1): 17-22. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.08.027.
- Guss CE, Austin SB, Katz-Wise SL. The Authors’ Reply.J Adolesc Health. 2017 Nov; 61(5):663-664
- Diemer EW, White Hughto JM, Gordon A, Guss CE, Austin S, Reisner S. Beyond the Binary: Differences in Eating Disorder Prevalence by Gender Identity in a Transgender Sample. Transgender health. 2018 Jan 1; 3(1): 17-23. PubMed PMID: 29359198; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5775111.
- Guss CE, Inwards-Breland DJ, Ozer E, Vance SR. Experiences With Querying Gender Identity Across Seven Adolescent Medicine Sites. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2018 Aug. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2018.05.021.
- Guss CE, Richmond T, Forman S. A survey of physician practices on the inpatient medical stabilization of patients with avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder. Journal of Eating Disorders. 2018 Sep 26; 6: 22. PubMed PMID: 30263118; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6157044.
- Guss CE, Woolverton GA, Borus J, Austin S, Reisner S, Katz-Wise S. Transgender Adolescents’ Experiences in Primary Care: A Qualitative Study. The Journal of Adolescent Health. 2019 Jun 18. PubMed PMID: 31227384.
Other Web Presences
Division of Adolescent Medicine
333 Longwood Avenue
Boston , MA 02115