Independent Studies and Research Courses

Independent studies and research sections are modes of study that involve substantial interaction with and instruction by faculty and are set up on an ad hoc basis.  All independent study and research courses are taken for pass-fail credit only. Independent Studies may be set up with variable credits.

A Harvard Chan faculty member or an adjunct faculty member must supervise all independent studies and research sections taken for degree credit at the School. Students who wish to enroll with a faculty member who has an annual appointment at the School or a faculty member from another Harvard school must enroll in the section sponsored by their Harvard Chan School academic adviser. By sponsoring the independent study, the School adviser agrees to the appropriateness of both the work and the non-School supervisor. The academic adviser must contact the non-School section supervisor to assign a grade for the student. The student’s academic adviser must submit the grade at the end of the course as required by the School’s Committee on Educational Policy.

Non-Degree students may enroll only with a faculty member with a School “annual appointment.” Non-Degree students are not permitted to take research courses.