Certifications of Enrollment

Students who require certification of enrollment, tuition and fees, or of graduation must complete the Request for Certification Form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office. The processing time for certification is five to seven business days. Certifications are stamped with the Registrar’s seal. Certifications may be forwarded directly to third parties if requested by the student. There is no fee for this type of certification.

Certifications of Loan Deferrals

Students who have loans from Harvard or other institutions must keep in mind that enrollment may only be certified for the semesters in which students are currently enrolled or for previous semesters. In order for most student loans to be deferred, students must be registered for a minimum of 10 credits each semester. Please consult the appropriate lending institution regarding requirements. Harvard University participates in the Student Loan Clearinghouse. Most student loan deferrals will be completed electronically. If your lender does not participate in this program, please bring your loan deferral forms to the Registrar’s Office for processing.


An official transcript includes the student’s name, degree program(s), courses taken, grades received, date(s) of the degree(s) conferred, and GPA. The transcript is stamped with the registrar’s stamp and the Harvard Chan School seal, placed in an envelope with an explanation of the School grading system, and sealed. Should the seal be broken, the transcript is considered unofficial. Students who would like to review their grades before sending them to a third party should review them using the grade report feature via ALICE. Students may request a copy of their official transcript by submitting a Transcript Request Form to the Registrar’s Office. Students who require a notarized transcript must indicate so at the time of the request. Students should allow five to seven business days for processing transcript requests.For students who matriculated prior to September 2003, the first transcript is issued at no charge; for subsequent requests, there is a processing fee of $2.00 for each transcript. Students may also elect to request transcripts on-line at www.studentclearinghouse.org.

If you request transcripts (official/unofficial) and have outstanding financial obligations to the Harvard Chan School or Harvard University, the transcripts will bear the notations “issued to student” and “student’s financial obligations to the university have not been met.” These transcripts will not be sent to third parties. Transcripts cannot be issued to third parties for students facing disciplinary proceedings.

Transcripts from other schools submitted by students to the Harvard Chan School as part of the admissions process to the school remain part of the student’s permanent record. These transcripts are never sent to third parties. Students must obtain copies of these transcripts from the school where the academic credit was earned and the degree awarded.


Some institutions will not accept transcripts which have not been sent directly to them by the registrar. Please check with the third party before requesting a transcript.