Current Harvard Chan School International Students Requesting:

    • Visa Extensions
    • Adding Dependents
    • Coming back from a Leave of Absence
    • Significant change in funding (30% or more) 

Before you can request an update:

  • If you are making changes to your visa, please first contact Elizabeth Capuano ( or 617-496-2817) in the HIO office to notify her and to inquire about any possible concerns or implications.
  • If you are requesting a visa extension, you must first initiate your program extension by completing the general petition. Once your general petition is approved, you may submit your request for a visa extension.
  • Please be aware that if you do not submit your request for extension PRIOR to the completion date on your immigration document, you will be responsible for submitting a reinstatement application to the Department of Homeland Security with appropriate fee.  The HIO will assist you in this process.

To request an update:

Once the above is complete, please submit the Financial Certification Form for International Students (FCIS). You will be asked to upload these documents in the FCIS form:

  • Financial documents
    • You can find  information on living expenses for  student and dependents (if applicable) on the menu items to the left. Please note that all personal funding must be in the student’s name.
  • Passport biographic page
  • HIO visa document request form

If you have any technical difficulties, you can email with any documents.

Additional Helpful Links:

Tuition & Fees
Academic Calendar
University Health Services
(as of November 2019)