Voices in Leadership During Crises: Sandra L. Fenwick
Live webcast streamed on our Facebook and on Voices in Leadership website on Tuesday, September 29, 2020, 12:00 – 12:45 PM ET.
Sandra L. Fenwick is the Chief Executive Officer of Boston Children’s Hospital, where she leads a team of 20,000 people dedicated to improving and advancing child health through their life-changing work in clinical care, biomedical research, medical education and community engagement.
Boston Children’s is ranked the number one pediatric hospital in the nation by US News and World Report, is home to the world’s largest pediatric research enterprise and is the leading recipient of pediatric research funding from the National Institutes of Health. Among all hospitals, it is the fourth leading recipient of NIH funding. Boston Children’s is the primary pediatric teaching hospital for Harvard Medical School.
Under Ms. Fenwick’s leadership, Boston Children’s is:
- Providing the highest quality, most innovative care to patients and families from around the world.
- Transforming pediatric medicine through scientific discovery and the development of breakthrough therapies and cures, such as gene therapy.
- Driving innovation to maximize the potential of next generation technologies like artificial intelligence and voice to address complex health care challenges.
- Developing the most advanced pediatric care facility in the world — the state-of-the-art Hale Family Building — which will open in 2022.
- Expanding its regional network of integrated care to deliver routine care close to where patients live and more specialized care at Boston Children’s.
- Supporting the hospital’s mission with the most ambitious capital campaign of any pediatric hospital, raising more than $1.5 billion in eight years.
Ms. Fenwick is a leading advocate for a recommitment to investing in children — especially pediatric health care — in the face of growing threats to our children’s health and well-being.
Ms. Fenwick joined Boston Children’s in 1999 as Senior Vice President for Business Development Strategy and was promoted to Chief Operating Officer later that year. She was named President in 2008 and was appointed Chief Executive Officer in 2013. Throughout her tenure, she has led the hospital’s efforts to control costs and adapt to a changing health care environment. Those efforts have resulted in outstanding credit ratings, a robust financial profile, and a proven track record of delivering among the highest value pediatric care in the nation.
From 1976 to 1998, Ms. Fenwick served in a number of senior executive roles at Beth Israel Hospital in operations, strategy and business development, ultimately as Senior Vice President of System Development for its parent CareGroup.
Ms. Fenwick is a member of the Board of Directors of the Children’s Hospital Association and chairs its Public Policy Committee. She serves on the Board of Directors of CRICO, Livongo Health, Harvard’s Wyss Institute for Biologically-inspired Engineering, Jobs for Massachusetts, the Massachusetts Digital Health Council and Boston Children’s Hospital. She is also a member of the Massachusetts Women’s Forum and Women Corporate Directors/Boston. In 2019 she was honored as a Distinguished Bostonian by the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce.
Ms. Fenwick holds a Bachelor’s degree from Simmons College with distinction and a Master’s in Public Health in Health Services Administration from the University of Texas School of Public Health. She has received numerous awards and honorary degrees for her contributions to health care.