Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Population Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute
Payal Chakraborty (she/her) is a postdoctoral research fellow at the Department of Population Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute. She received her PhD in Epidemiology from The Ohio State University and her Masters in Global Health from Duke University. Chakraborty’s research focuses on sexual and reproductive health. Specifically, she is interested in research that works towards ensuring that individuals have the resources, support, and agency to enact their reproductive health choices, with a specific emphasis on impacts of existing structures and policies, as well as proposed legislation, on sexual and reproductive health outcomes. As a graduate student, Chakraborty’s work focused on sexual and reproductive health in Ohio. She authored several publications about abortion and contraception access, and her PhD dissertation focused on risk factors for syphilis. As a postdoctoral researcher, she is currently involved in projects that aim to quantify reproductive health disparities among LGBTQ individuals.
- Hood RB, Moseson H, Smith M, Chakraborty P, Norris AH, Gallo MF. Comparison of abortion incidence estimates derived from direct survey questions versus the list experiment among women in Ohio. PLoS ONE. 2022 Jun 3;17(6):e0269476. Doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0269476.
- Van Gerwen O, Griner S, Davis A, Footman A, Pinto CN, Melendez J, Tuddenham S, Exten C, Soge OO, Chakraborty P, Nenninger A, Marlowe EM, Joseph AM, McGowin C, Seña AC, Fortenberry JD, Ghanem KG, Van Der Pol B. Summary of the 4th Annual ASTDA Workshop on Improving STI Control Efforts through Cross-Sector Collaboration. Sex Transm Dis. 2022 May 24. doi: 10.1097/OLQ.0000000000001651. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35608091.
- Chakraborty P, Murawsky S, Smith MH, McGowan ML, Norris AH, Bessett D. How Ohio’s proposed abortion bans would impact travel distance to access abortion care. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2022 Apr 20. doi: 10.1363/psrh.12191. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35442569.
- Smith MH, Muzyczka Z, Chakraborty P, Johns-Wolfe E, Higgins J, Bessett D, Norris AH. Abortion travel within the United States: an analysis of cross-state movement to obtain abortion care in 2017. Lancet Reg Health Am. 2022 Jun 1;10:100214. doi: 10.1016/j.lana.2022.100214. Epub ahead of print.
- Smith MH, Turner AN, Chakraborty P, Hood RB, Bessett D, Gallo MF, Norris AH. Opinions about abortion among reproductive-age women in Ohio. Sex Res Soc Policy. 2021 Oct 30:1-13. doi: 10.1007/s13178-021-00638-y. Epub ahead of print.
- Chakraborty P, Alalwan M, Johnson RM, Li L, Lancaster KE, Zhu M. Mental health and substance use by sexual minority status in high school students who experienced sexual violence. Ann Epidemiol. 2021 Dec;64(1):127-131. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2021.09.002. Epub 2021 Sep 24. PMID: 34571196.
- Rice R, Chakraborty P, Keder L, Turner AN, Gallo MF. Who attends a crisis pregnancy center in Ohio? Contraception. 2021 Oct;104(4):383-387. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2021.05.011. Epub 2021 May 24. PMID: 34038710.
- Mello K, Smith MH, Hill BJ, Chakraborty P, Rivlin K, Bessett D, Norris AH, McGowan ML. Federal, state, and institutional barriers to the expansion of medication and telemedicine abortion services in Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia during the COVID-19 pandemic. Contraception. 2021 Jul;104(1):111-116. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2021.04.020. Epub 2021 Apr 27. PMID: 33930382.
- Chakraborty P, Gallo MF, Nawaz S, Smith MH, Hood RB, Chettri S, Bessett D, Norris AH, Casterline J, Turner AN. Use of nonpreferred contraceptive methods among women in Ohio. Contraception. 2021 May;103(5):328-335. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2021.02.006. Epub 2021 Feb 16. PMID: 33607120.
- Gallo MF, Casterline JB, Chakraborty P, Norris A, Bessett D, Turner AN. Passage of abortion ban and women’s accurate understanding of abortion legality. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Jul;225(1):63.e1-63.e8. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2021.02.009. Epub 2021 Feb 10. PMID: 33577763.
- Norris AH, Chakraborty P, Lang K, Hood RB, Hayford SR, Keder L, Bessett D, Smith MH, Hill BJ, Broscoe M, Norwood C, McGowan ML. Abortion Access in Ohio’s Changing Legislative Context, 2010-2018. Am J Public Health. 2020 Aug;110(8):1228-1234. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2020.305706. Epub 2020 May 21. PMID: 32437269; PMCID: PMC7349452.
- Chakraborty P, Norris AH, Huber-Krum S, Garver S, Hood RB, Banda V, Esber A, Carr Reese P, Krysiak R, Turner AN. An Assessment of Risk Factors for HSV-2 Infection in Malawian Women Using Two Classifications for the HerpeSelect 2 Test. Sex Transm Dis. 2020 Mar;47(3):192-196. doi: 10.1097/OLQ.0000000000001121. PMID: 31876866; PMCID: PMC7816111.