Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Student Conference Travel Awards, 2022 -2023
SBS encourages our students to present their research at professional meetings and conferences. In order to support this initiative, we have instituted student travel awards specifically to help offset the costs of travel to these conferences.
- Applicant must be enrolled in a degree program in the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- PHS students who began the program in or after the fall of 2020 are eligible for SBS travel awards. PHS students who began their program in 2019 or earlier are eligible for the GSAS Professional Development fund which provides up to $2,500.00: https://gsas.harvard.edu/financial-aid/financial-support-phd-students/gsas-professional-development-fund-phd-students
- Applicant must have a received an official confirmation of acceptance for their presentation from the meeting organizers
- Applications should be submitted at least two months in advance of the conference/meeting.
- SBS will make up to 10 awards per year and will generally reimburse between $200 to $500 of travel expenses for approved applications depending upon fund availability. This support is meant to offset the cost of attending conferences. In most cases this funding is unlikely to cover the full cost of attendance.
- Students are eligible for these funds no more than once a year and preference for funding will go to students who have not received this funding in the past.
- The presentation and the meeting/conference must be relevant to the applicant’s current studies/research and at least some of the material being presented should have been produced as a result of degree studies at Harvard Chan.
- Applicant’s advisor must support and sign this application.
- Following participation in the conference the applicant must submit a one page summary to Elizabeth Solomon (email@example.com) outlining the outcomes.
- The 2022-23 application is available here.