How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in our two-year Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited residency program.
Those who have an M.D. or D.O. degree from an LCME-accredited medical school in the United States or CACME-accredited medical school in Canada, and have completed/are completing at least one year of internship in an accredited ACGME program (US) or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada program (Canada) may apply. The OEMR program leads to board eligibility in occupational medicine through the American Board of Preventive Medicine.
International Medical graduates are also welcome to apply providing they have completed (at least one year of, or are currently in) an ACGME-accredited training program in the United States or an appropriately accredited program in Canada. International Medical graduates should have attended a university that is recognized by the Ministry of Education of the respective country or accredited by a U.S. regional accrediting association.
Please note that the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health uses SOPHAS, the centralized application service for public health – an online application. The OEMR does not accept the Universal ERAS application at this time.
There are two parts to the application. You must complete both the MPH application (SOPHAS) and residency program application.
1. MPH Application (SOPHAS)
[For Master of Public Health (MPH) Degree and Special Students]
Access the application at www.sophas.org. Suggestions for completing the SOPHAS application:
FOR APPLICANTS WHO DO NOT HAVE AN MPH:
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives
Use the opportunity provided in the SOPHAS application to provide a statement of purpose and objectives that reflects your particular interest in the Harvard OEMR. For example, you may want to describe how you believe your strengths, goals, and interests will be served through our program.
- Transcript: Please visit https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/admissions/admissions/how-to-apply/transcripts-marks-sheets/ for instructions regarding prior coursework (and other tips). If you prefer not to enter all your coursework yourself, the SOPHAS Professional Transcript Entry Service (PTE) specialists can enter coursework for you for an additional fee.
- For letters of recommendation, follow the process as outlined in SOPHAS. In SOPHAS, each reference is asked to write a recommendation that will be applicable to any (participating) school of public health to which you designate your application.
- For Harvard OEMR Program Requirements, please note that Harvard Chan School Admissions will be glad to add to your file any additional letter(s) of recommendation that discuss(es) how the Harvard OEMR is suited to your needs and interests. Any letters specific to the Harvard Chan School should be mailed directly to the Admissions Office at 158 Longwood Avenue, Boston MA 02115-5810, with a copy to OEMR Program Coordinator, Annie Rodriguez at HSPHOccMedRes@hsph.harvard.edu.
- Specifying the OEMR in SOPHAS: To specify your interest in the Occupational and Environmental Medicine Residency, under “School Programs” select “Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health,” then select “MPH45, Occupational and Environmental Health.” Click “Search” and choose “Occ & Envir Medicine Residency.”
FOR APPLICANTS WHO ALREADY HAVE AN MPH:
- If you already have an MPH, according to the new ACGME requirements for Occupational Medicine, you will need to complete your residency over two years, and the likelihood is high that you will need to take additional courses at Harvard Chan School. Please contact Annie Rodriguez and send an unofficial copy of your MPH transcript to HSPHOccMedRes@hsph.harvard.edu so that the residency director and faculty can advise you whether or not additional courses are needed in order to meet our academic competencies for Occupational Medicine.
- If some additional courses are required, but the credits are not enough to constitute a full degree program, you may be asked to apply through SOPHAS to Harvard Chan School as a non-degree special student rather than as a degree student.
- If applying as a special student, in SOPHAS under “School Programs” select “Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health,” then select “Non-degree (1 year), Department of Environmental Health.” Click “Search” and choose “Special Student Status Occupational and Environmental Medicine Residency”.
Questions about the SOPHAS application can be directed to the HSPH Admissions Office:
2. Residency Program
In addition to the SOPHAS application, please have the following documents sent directly to Annie Rodriguez at HSPHOccMedRes@hsph.harvard.edu:
1. A current curriculum vitae (CV) with month & year start and end dates for academic and professional experience entries
2. An official USMLE transcript for all steps taken sent directly from the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) addressed to:
Harvard T.H. Chan of Public Health, Environmental & Occupational Medicine & Epidemiology Program (EOME) Program, Room 1406
665 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
3. If you are an international medical graduate, a valid ECFMG certification.
Deadline & Application Tracking:
For the 2024 entrance, the deadline for OEMR applications is October 15, 2023. If this deadline is a problem for you, please contact Annie Rodriguez, Residency Program Coordinator at HSPHOccMedRes@hsph.harvard.edu.
To track and facilitate your application throughout the process, or ask any questions, please contact:
Prospective applicants are also encouraged to contact the OEMR Program Director regarding interest in the residency and for any questions regarding program content:
Stefanos Kales, MD, MPH