Researchers at the Harvard Opinion Research Program have been collaborating with the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO) and the National Public Health Information Coalition (NPHIC) on a multi-year project to strengthen communication and messaging during public health emergencies, including the COVID-19 pandemic. The project is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It includes a series of surveys about public and provider perspectives, with an eye toward understanding the drivers of trust in public health response and institutions. These surveys feed into a series of action sessions and workshops with public health agencies across the country to support communication, education, and outreach initiatives. Specific surveys and related publications are listed below. ASTHO houses an online repository for members with additional resources.
- Enhancing Trust in Public Health: COVID-19 Boosters & Seasonal Flu Vaccination (July 2022)
- Enhancing Trust in Public Health: When Recommendations Change (April 2022)
- Enhancing Trust in Public Health: Foundations of Trust (February 2022)
- Back to School: Parent Views of COVID Protections & Policies (July 2021)
- Preventive Behaviors in the Evolving Covid-19 Context (June 2021)
- Telemedicine as a Public Health Strategy: Perspectives of Patients (May 2021)
- Telemedicine as a Public Health Strategy: Perspectives of Physicians (May 2021)
- Travel in the Summer of 2021: Vaccinated and Unvaccinated Perspectives (May 2021)
- Mask-Wearing and Vaccination in the Evolving Covid-19 Context II (April 2021)
- Mask-Wearing and Vaccination in the Evolving Covid-19 Context (February 2021)
- Domestic Travel During the COVID-19 Pandemic (July 2020)
- Contact Tracing During the COVID-19 Pandemic (July 2020)
SteelFisher GK, Findling MG, Caporello HL, et al. Trust In US Federal, State, And Local Public Health Agencies During COVID-19: Responses And Policy Implications. Health Aff (Millwood). 2023;42(3):328-337. doi:10.1377/hlthaff.2022.01204
SteelFisher GK, McMurtry CL, Caporello HL, McGowan E, Schafer TJ, Lubell KM, Friedman AL, Allen J, Shockey C, Grady A, Ben-Porath EN. Experiences and Views of Domestic Summer Travelers During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Findings from a National Survey. Health Secur. 2021 May-Jun;19(3):338-348. doi: 10.1089/hs.2020.0212. Epub 2021 May 24. PMID: 34030469; PMCID: PMC8217589.