Gun owners are an important part of the solution when it comes to preventing suicide. Gun owner groups often have a strong culture around firearm safety, protecting the family, and friends-helping-friends. These values dovetail well with suicide prevention. It is a natural fit for groups that have worked hard to prevent the 500 or so unintentional shooting deaths that occur in the US each year to take on the 21,000 firearm suicides. In recent years, many gun owner groups have already begun.
The Utah Suicide Prevention Coalition recently released a PSA promoting safe storage for suicide prevention.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation made a flipbook about Firearms and Suicide Prevention.
Gun community partners in suicide prevention include:
- The National Shooting Sports Foundation
- Maryland Licensed Firearm Dealers Association
- Utah Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Gun Owners of Vermont
- Vermont Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs
- Second Amendment Foundation
- Utah Shooting Sports Council
Firearm news coverage: