All articles related to "tuberculosis":

Related Topics

Global child TB infection estimates doubled

Approximately one million children contract tuberculosis (TB) annually, with 32,000 suffering from a multi-drug resistant (MDR) strain, according to a new study by Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) researchers and colleagues. These findings are double previous childhood…

TB, HIV targeted by student researchers

February 18, 2014 — When people who have been cured of tuberculosis (TB) re-develop the disease, are they relapsing or fighting a new strain? How often should HIV/AIDS patients be tested to see if antiretroviral treatment is working?…

Role of lung lesions in tuberculosis explored

For years scientists have sought to unravel the mystery of why about 90% of people infected by Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacteria that cause tuberculosis (TB), remain symptom-free for years, while the remaining 10% become sick and may die.…

TB survival mechanism explained

In a new paper, Eric Rubin, professor of immunology and infectious diseases at Harvard School of Public Health and colleagues describe how tuberculosis (TB) bacteria undergo metabolic adaptation to survive attempts by immune system cells to kill them…

Tuberculosis experts address role of immune response

Tuberculosis (TB) remains a major infectious disease global threat, with 8.7 million new cases and 1.4 million deaths worldwide reported in 2011 alone. In the United States, an estimated 10 million to 15 million people are infected. With…

The hard science of saving lives

[Fall 2013 Centennial issue] Understanding the basic biology of infectious disease has been a constant at HSPH since its inception. “We’re one of the few schools of public health that has integrated laboratory science and more classical public…

New findings in battle against drug-resistant tuberculosis

Sarah Fortune, Melvin J. and Geraldine L. Glimcher associate professor of immunology and infectious diseases, on why some people infected with some "bad actor" strains of M. tuberculosis are at very high risk of getting drug resistant TB,…

Why Public Health? Jemila Kester

July 2013 -- In our video series “Why Public Health?” we ask Harvard School of Public Health students and alumni to talk about what drew them to the field. Jemila Kester, a doctoral student in the Biological Sciences…