In this section of the website you will find links to resources that will prove useful in expanding your knowledge of key concepts within the field of health literacy and leveraging this knowledge to integrate health literacy considerations into your work. These include workbooks and other instructional resources, as well as websites from several government organizations that have been active in the field of health literacy. The websites listed below are valuable sources for finding tools, online courses and other resources that have been developed to promote the integration of health literacy throughout the health care and public health sectors.
Some of Our Resources:
- The Classic How-to Text: Teaching Patients with Low Literacy Skills by Doak, Doak, & Root, 1996 (out-of-print but posted here with permission from the publishers and authors).
- Health Literate Organizations: The Health Literacy Environment Packet: First Impressions & A Walking Interview by R. Rudd, 2010.
- Setting up Local Conferences with Partners: Health Literacy Public Health Forums: Partners for Action by R. Rudd and E. Zobel, 2005.
- Integrating Health Literacy into Adult Education: Health Literacy Study Circles. Click link to access:
- Health Literacy in Adult Basic Education: Designing Lessons, Units, and Evaluation Plans for an Integrated Curriculum
- Health Literacy Study Circles: Skills for Health Care Access and Navigation
- Health Literacy Study Circles: Skills for Chronic Disease Management
- Health Literacy Study Circles: Skills for Disease Prevention and Screening
- Developing Photonovelas: Student Produced Health Education Material: A ‘How-To’ Manual, by R. Rudd, J. Kichen, I. Joslin, 1980. (Note that this guide was developed before computers were available. Now, of course, there are templates available online).
- Translating from Professional to Lay Language: Plain Language Resources. Click this link to access examples of topic specific glossaries.
- Asthma:Key Words in Plain Language
- Plain Talk about Arthritis and Key Words
- Plain Talk about Lupus and Key Words
- Arthritis: Key Words in Plain Language (written for Ireland)
Links to Key Websites
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Website on Health Literacy
- US Health and Resources and Services Administration (HRSA): About Health Literacy
- US Department of Health and Human Services
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- National Institutes of Health Clear Communication Initiative
- National Library of Medicine: Health Literacy