Green Beans with Dried Cherries
- ½ cup dried sweetened cherries
- ½ tablespoon canola oil
- ½ small red onion, diced (scant ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Begin by making the cherry glaze: Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the red onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the brown sugar to the onions. Stir to dissolve.
- Add the dry cherries, vinegar, and water. Simmer mixture for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the cherries are soft and the liquid has reduced. Do not let the mixture cook until dry; if it begins to dry out, add more water in small amounts to keep it moist. Set the sauce aside.
- Place the beans in a small steamer basket, and place the basket in a pot with a tightly fitting lid, above an inch of boiling water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, keeping the beans slightly crisp.
- Toss the steamed green beans with the cherry glaze, season with salt to taste (if desired), and serve.
Nutrition facts:Per 1/4 of recipe 140 calories 3 grams of protein 28 grams of carbohydrates 5 grams of fiber 10 milligrams of sodium
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.