Try this recipe for a quick and delicious summertime appetizer. The firmness of eggplant holds up well to being grilled–and makes a great base for a juicy, ripe tomato.
Grilled Eggplant Cutlets
- 1 large eggplant or 2 medium ones
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the grill. Slice eggplant into rounds about ¾ inch thick. Slice tomatoes into rounds about ¼ inch thick. Lay all the rounds flat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir oregano into the olive oil in a small separate bowl, and brush mixture lightly onto the eggplant and tomato rounds.
- Grill eggplant and tomato rounds, olive oil side down, tomato slices for about 1 minute each, and eggplant slices for about 2 minutes each. Remove from the grill and flip so that the oiled sides are up.
- Heat the broiler. Lay out eggplant slices on a baking sheet. Top each slice with a slice of tomato. Sprinkle the eggplant-tomato stacks with parmesan cheese and broil until cheese is bubbly, about two minutes.
Nutrition facts:Per 1/4 of recipe 90 calories 3 grams of protein 8 grams of carbohydrates 4 grams of fiber 85 milligrams of sodium 5 milligrams of cholesterol
The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.