It is almost never too early to lay the foundation for good health, and there is evidence that a child’s early years and even time during pregnancy can have an important impact later in life.
Together, with the help of healthcare providers, women of childbearing age , pregnant mothers, and new mothers can take steps that could help improve their health as well as the health of their child.
Here are 6 tips on how to give kids a good start:
- Try to start pregnancy at a healthy weight
- Don’t smoke during pregnancy
- Aim for reasonable weight gain during pregnancy
- Breastfeed (preferably without other liquids for 4-6 months and some breastfeeding for at least 12 months)
- Ensure infants get adequate sleep in the first few years of life
- Help children gain weight at a healthy rate