Applying for Reinstatement

Reinstatement Petition Procedure

Former HSPH students who withdrew from their degree program, or who were administratively withdrawn may apply for reinstatement to their former program. Applicants must be at a zero balance, and all indebtedness to the University paid. Students should request to return in a required semester of enrollment for their program: academic year students will be expected to return in fall/spring and summer-only and summer-focused students will be expected to return in summer. Please note that students who have been academically withdrawn must reapply via the HSPH Admissions Office.

While there is no guarantee of reinstatement, the following factors are taken into account:

  • The length of time spent away from HSPH (no more than 5 years)
  • The activities undertaken during that absence
  • The department’s space and advising availability

To Reapply

  • Contact the department/ program in which you were previously enrolled to discuss your reinstatement.
  • With your department/program, develop an academic plan to be submitted with your application. Academic plan templates are available on our Forms and Verification webpage.
  • Write a statement of purpose outlining the reasons for not completing the program. What have you been doing since leaving the program? Why you think you can successfully complete the program?
  • Submit one letter of support from the department/program.
  • If needed, consult the Office of Financial Aid and the Harvard International Office.
  • Complete the Reinstatement Application form and submit it along with the additional required documents to the Registrar’s Office before the intended reinstatement term begins. Applications submitted after a term beings will not be considered for that term.