International Student Resources


Welcome to the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and welcome to Boston!

We hope you are able to transition smoothly to the Harvard Chan School and to Boston. The Office for Student Affairs offers a wide range of educational, cultural and social programming and resources to support your experience. If you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to stop by our office in Kresge G-4 or contact us by email at

Harvard International Office

HIO Welcome to Boston Guide for International Students

The Harvard International Office (HIO) offers information for international students intended to ease adjustment to life at Harvard. The office advises on visa and immigration matters as well as personal matters such as housing, volunteer and work opportunities for partners and more.

HIO functions as a liaison to US Government agencies and offers such programs as orientation, tax seminars, and a variety of cross-cultural activities. The International Office publishes guides for international students, scholars and families, which is given to those who register with the HIO.  All international students are required to check in at the International Office prior to registration for classes.

An HIO advisor is assigned to each of the Harvard schools.  The advisor for Harvard Chan and the Longwood Medical Area (LMA) is Elizabeth Capuano.  For detailed information about Elizabeth Capuano’s schedule, please visit the HIO Office Hours.

The HIO Website provides a range of very helpful information to assist you with your transition.  Topics found on the website include:  taxes, social security, orientation programs, health care and insurance, cell phone and banking information.

Contact Information for HIO:

Harvard International Office
1350 Massachusetts Avenue
Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center, 864
Cambridge, MA 02138

Phone: 617-495-2789
Fax: 617-495-4088

Visa Extension Process

Visa Extension Process has information for current Harvard Chan School international students requesting:

  • Visa Extensions
  • Adding Dependents
  • Coming back from a Leave of Absence
  • Significant changes in funding (30% or more) or changes to source of funding

Please note that this information does not replace the advice of our International Office. All students looking to make changes to their visa should first reach out to the HIO.

Harvard University Credit Union

Information for International Students Opening Accounts

Harvard University Credit Union is the financial cooperative exclusively for Harvard students, faculty, alumni and staff. The Credit Union offers a full range of banking services, including; credit cards, debit and ATM cards, online banking and bill payment, consumer loans, mortgages, savings, checking and money market accounts. HUECU has three Boston branch locations. For more information visit