A Professional Development Support Fund was established by the Office for Student Services to support students at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health who are interested in taking advantage of opportunities to participate in co-curricular and academic experiences such as attending or presenting at professional conferences or development seminars, and by organizing their own events such as seminars, panels, symposiums, etc. The goal of the fund is to reduce individual students’ costs to participate in or organize experiences that contribute to their professional development.
Activities or opportunities that are inconsistent with these guidelines will be ineligible for funding. Among the ineligible expenses are:
- in person events or opportunities (until further guidance from the School and University)
- travel, including international travel
- activities supported by existing departmental resources
- expenses to fund dissertation research travel
- expenses to purchase equipment or software
- be a degree seeking Harvard Chan School student*
- be in good academic standing
- complete the applications following the application guidelines
- apply before graduation. If you are a graduating student, you are eligible to apply as long as you are enrolled as a student at the time of submission of your application.
*PhD students should apply for funding via the GSAS Professional Development Fund for PhD students by clicking here.
Application Deadlines for 2020-2021
(No later than 5:00 PM ET on the deadline)
- October 15
- January 15
- March 15
- June 15
Before applying, students should review the eligibility requirements and application guidelines. To apply, please complete the Professional Development Support Application. Your application will be reviewed by the Professional Development Support Committee, which is comprised of two Office for Student Services staff members and two Harvard Chan Student Association members.
Approval of funding will be based on the merit of a student’s application and the availability of funds. Late, incomplete, or group submissions will not be considered. Applicants will be asked to complete a survey and provide feedback on the impact of the fund. One request per academic year will be approved provided the content and title of the presentation are different from any previous academic year application. Please note that awards through this fund may be considered income and subject to federal tax regulations.
Notice of Decision
- Notice of decision will be sent via email within ten business days of the application deadline.
- If a student’s application is not approved, they may apply again by re-submitting their application with additional documentation and/or revisions for review by the Committee at their next meeting provided it meets eligibility requirements and application guidelines.