Inclusive Excellence Vision for Harvard Chan School
Inclusive Excellence Vision Statement
Through a bold and intentional commitment, the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health aspires to be an inclusive community that harnesses a critical consciousness in order to shape a healthier world. With the understanding of structural racism and other forms of oppression as an urgent and global public health crisis, we will continue building an anti-oppressive foundation for public health practice and education. Through leading scientific rigor, academic excellence, and a workplace and community culture of equity and belonging, we will catalyze a diverse group of leaders essential to our transformation and evolution towards a new global paradigm that advances health equity and justice as a human right.
Statement of Commitment
This vision for equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging will guide our work and our collaborations at the Harvard Chan School. As a community, we aspire to actualize the goals reflected in our diversity strategic plan, Foundations for Sustainable Progress & Transformation: An Inclusive Excellence Strategic Plan for the Harvard Chan School. Therefore, we commit to engaging with our community and partners in the following ways:
Striving Forward Courageously
- We will promote opportunities for all community members to engage in critical self-reflection, accountability, growth, and active learning encompassing anti-racism and anti-oppression awareness, knowledge, and skills to break down barriers of structural racism and oppression.
- We commit to fostering and empowering community members with the courage to embark on a lifelong responsibility to achieve diversity, inclusion, and belonging in personal and professional endeavors across our global community.
Actively Fostering a Culture of Belonging in the Workplace
- We commit to understanding contemporary injustice in the context of its historical origins, which include legacies of indigenous exploitation, slavery, gender discrimination, xenophobia, and colonialism.
- We actively denounce all forms of oppression and discrimination and the harms perpetuated by such practices at individual, institutional, and structural levels.
Committing to Excellence in Our Scientific and Academic Pursuits
- We will cultivate an environment where students from all backgrounds and identities are valued, affirmed, and supported in their educational and scholarly? pursuits.
- We commit to championing equity in our pedagogical and research practices that will increase opportunities for inclusive scholarship, thought leadership, and public health practice in order to address racism and marginalization as global public health imperatives.
Message from Leadership
“Harvard Chan School must make diversity, inclusion, and belonging one of its highest institutional priorities. As a school of public health, it is imperative that we confront head-on the systemic costs of racism and its corrosive effects on our community members.”
— Michelle A. Williams, Dean of the Faculty
Inclusive Excellence Strategic Plan
Our diversity plan entitled Foundations for Sustainable Progress and Transformation: An Inclusive Excellence Strategic Plan for Harvard Chan School is driven by our mission to promote equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging within our community. The goal of this plan is to establish the foundations that will position diversity and inclusive excellence as central to the core functions and experiences at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
Message from Leadership
“The ongoing pursuit of an anti-oppressive culture within our institution is grounded in our ability to critically understand our environment and make changes throughout our institution on multiple levels. This means identifying and moving forward with policies, practices, and individual behaviors that are anti-oppressive and anti-racist at their core.”
— Amarildo “Lilu” Barbosa, Chief Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging Officer
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is committed to the ongoing assessment of our climate and progress on identified goals, objectives, and action items. To learn more about our recent efforts to advance inclusive excellence priorities, you can explore our Inclusive Excellence Annual Reports along with quantitative data on representation and diversity within our community.
Featured Events & Resources
Get involved with diversity programs and initiatives taking place at Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health during the year. For more details, visit our Office of Diversity and Inclusion, and please share your thoughts with us by emailing email@example.com.