Isabel Fulcher Receives Bloom Fellowship

Isabel Fulcher has been awarded funding from the Barry R. and Irene Tilenius Bloom Fellowship Fund for 2017-18. The fund provides critical financial aid—one of Bloom’s priorities as dean—that can transform a student’s vision of a public health career into a reality. Recipients are selected on academic merit, leadership potential, and commitment to improving public health in fields and areas of the world in greatest need.

Congratulations Izzie!

Izzie describes her research, below:

My dissertation research with Dr. Eric Tchetgen Tchetgen involves the development of novel statistical methods to uncover causal mechanisms in settings where this proves particularly challenging. I have recently developed a robust estimator of a mediated effect to better understand adverse maternal health outcomes among HIV-infected women in Botswana. I am currently developing an estimation procedure for network causal effects to investigate the impact of injection-drug use on HIV/STI incidence in a sexual and injection drug use network. In addition to my research, I am invested in building statistical research capacity in East African countries.