A one month summer intensive program intended for high school students from underrepresented backgrounds interested in data science and computing.
*Note: Due to developments with COVID-19, this program will be held virtually from July 5th-29th, 2022.
The course will teach programming in R, basic statistics, develop high school students’ statistical programming, computational thinking and problem solving skills.
- Students receive instruction for three hours a day, four days per week (Monday – Thursday), in the form of lectures and lab work
- Students complete and present group research projects as the culmination event at the end of the program
- Direct mentoring by Biostatistics PhD students
- Support and guidance with college applications and career counseling
- High school student (rising freshman – rising senior)
- Priority given to those from underrepresented minority and low-income backgrounds
- Interest in applying to college with a focus in STEM
- Basic algebra
- Completed application form
- One letter of recommendation (two preferred)
Application deadline is Friday, June 3, 2022
More news related to the StatStart Program!
The program was started in 2015, and is hosted by the Biostatistics Department at the Harvard T.H Chan School of Public Health. It is overseen by a Faculty Director, but developed and taught by Biostatistics PhD students.
For more information, please contact: StatStartHarvard@gmail.com