The Epidemiology Department is proud to offer a summer program for undergraduates from underrepresented groups to gain exposure to the field of public health through coursework, lectures, and research projects. Read this wonderful HSPH news article highlighting the many opportunities available in order to enrich the academic experiences of a diverse variety of students.
2022 Summer Program in Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Application Deadline: 3/4/2022
In order to take advantage of this opportunity, applicants must meet all of the criteria below.
Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate program or recently graduated from an undergraduate program and not matriculating in a graduate program during the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or above
- Applicants must be from a quantitative science background or have taken several quantitative classes beyond intro-level courses
- Applicants must demonstrate an interest in public health
Applicants must identify with at least one underrepresented group in biomedical research, which is defined by meeting the NIH’s criteria below:
- Racial and ethnic groups such as Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinx, American Indians or Alaskan Natives, and Native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders; People from disadvantaged and low socioeconomic status; Students with disabilities
- Annual family income below established low-income thresholds, based on family size(this requires additional supportive documentation); A rural, inner-city, or other environments that have inhibited a person from getting the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed for a research career
Exclusions: Individuals interested in pursuing a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or who have already been admitted to a graduate program are ineligible to apply. The program is for students interested in pursuing the following degree types: Master of Science (MS) or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). If you are unsure about degree types, please visit the HSPH Admissions website.
If you were a previous participant in this program and you are aware of peers who may be interested in participating in this year’s program, sharing information regarding how one may apply to this program is greatly appreciated on behalf of the department.
Individuals already accepted into a graduate program are ineligible to apply.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com