Xihao Li ASA Interview

Xihao LiAfter being a winner in the Student Paper Award Competition for the 2022 ASA Section on Statistics in Genomics and Genetics for his paper “Powerful, scalable and resource-efficient meta-analysis of rare variant associations in large whole-genome sequencing studies” doctoral student Xihao Li was interviewed for the ASA newsletter. See below.Please describe something that interests you about your current research or work.I became interested in statistical genetics since I was a Biostatistics master’s student at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. During my independent study, I was amazed by the strong applications of statistical methods in large-scale genetic and DNA methylation studies, which motivated me to continue my research by pursuing my Ph.D. in Biostatistics. With the advances in whole-exome and whole-genome sequencing (WES/WGS) studies in recent years, large cohort and biobank studies (for example, the Trans-Omics for Precision Medicine (TOPMed) Program from NHLBI and the UK Biobank) have provided unprecedented opportunities and valuable resources for researchers to study the genetic architectures and identify novel genetic associations between common and rare variants to complex diseases or traits. I am excited to work on integrative analysis of large-scale sequencing data and multi-omics data, and my current research aims to leverage data from multiple studies and provide a powerful, scalable and resource-efficient tool for the meta-analysis of rare variant associations in large WES/WGS studies.Tell us how you got where you are today.Beyond my personal interest, I have been very fortunate to work with Professor Xihong Lin throughout the years. Xihong is a great mentor who is always very patient to listen to your ideas but at the same time motivates you to become the best version of yourself on the work you do. I have learned that it is important to combine the strengths of statistical rigor, software development and domain knowledge, in order to contribute and make an impact in the field of statistical genetics. I have been practicing myself in this path by embracing the fruitful research in the field and sharpening my skills. I am also very grateful to all my collaborators, as well as all study participants from the respective studies in my research. Without their generous help and support, I would not have got where I am today.What do you enjoy doing outside of work?Outside of work, I enjoy reading, cooking, and hiking (especially in places like national parks). My wife and I hope to visit at least 1 or 2 national parks every year (with our enthusiastic cat).What is your advice for others following in your footsteps?Not sure if I’m well-qualified to give any advice, but for graduate students, I would just say “be passionate about the work you do and never give up”. It is known that people who are passionate tend to be more optimistic about what they can do regardless of the outcome. Throughout the way, anyone may have setbacks, but it is important not to let them get you down and focus on the good sides of the process. As long as you persevere and never give up, you will reach your destination almost surely.