Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) by Instructure that has been adopted by all of the schools of Harvard University.
Canvas provides tools for teaching staff to develop and administer course websites.
Support – including training and one-on-one sessions – is offered by the Media and Educational Technology Services (METS) team. METS works closely with HUIT’s Academic Technology team on LMS strategy, expansion, and troubleshooting.
In addition to Canvas for residential course use, METS supports a second instance of Canvas for executive continuing education and extended education opportunities at a small fee per year per learner.
For additional information, including course creation timelines and training consultations, please visit the Canvas FAQ page.
Key features and benefits
- Robust teaching and learning tools including:
- Content management (files, links, library integration)
- Interactive assessments
- Discussion forums
- Learning analytics
- Automatic publishing of course videos captured using Mediasite course capture software
- Integration with HarvardKey authentication and Harvard Library services
- Robust cloud-hosting at Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Excellent front line support by phone, email, or chat via Canvas Support Network from the Help section of https://canvas.harvard.edu
How to get started
If you are interested in using this service, please contact the helpdesk email@example.com