Meet Our New PhD Students!

We’ll be featuring mini-profiles of our new PhD students over the next few weeks. We look forward to welcoming them into our community!

Riddhiman SahaRiddhiman SahaHi everyone! My name is Riddhiman Saha, I’m from West Bengal, India. I did my bachelor’s and master’s degree in Statistics at Indian Statistical Institute. My undergraduate training was inclined towards the theoretical aspects of Statistics. I have undertaken some academic projects in various topics including Markov decision process, discontinuous regression surface, graphon estimation. Aside from the theoretical projects, I got to work in a project involving COVID-19 data. Using the daily count data, we used a spatio-temporal modelling approach to measure the within-region, between- region and endemic components of the pandemic. We also implemented an SEIR type individual based model to simulate a pandemic with non-pharmaceutical interventions and assess the effect of various parameters on its spread. During my master’s, I got a bit of exposure to biostatistics, specially statistical genetics and survival analysis. Regarding research interests, I’m still an explorer, inclined towards methodological aspects. Apart from research, I’m interested in coding. I’m very excited to join the PhD program at HSPH and explore more of Biostatistics.

Jodeci WheadenJodeci WheadenHello, my name is Jodeci Wheaden! I was born in Baltimore, Maryland and raised in McDonough, Georgia. From an early age, I have always had a passion for math and a deep fascination about the many areas where it is utilized. As a result, I decided to pursue this passion by getting a Bachelor’s of Science in Mathematics from Georgia College & State University followed by a Master’s of Science in Computer Science from Northeastern University. During the entire duration of my master’s degree program, I worked as a data scientist at the government contracting company, MITRE Corporation. Solving problems for a safer world by studying areas such as autonomous systems for the U.S. Department of Defense and the optimization of navigational aids for the Federal Aviation Administration. Prior to my employment at MITRE, I was an educator at Title I schools in my community. Teaching gave me the opportunity to inspire the next generation of STEM professionals with a wide range of interactive tasks and constant collaboration about their possible future outcomes if they pursue a career in a STEM related field.I am thrilled to begin this new chapter in my life as I am able to combine my background in mathematics and computer science to create revolutionary change in the area of colorectal cancer.At my leisure, I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. Making memories with my loved ones gives me a deeper appreciation for the most treasured prize, life.