Student Stories – Erin Schnellinger

WErin Schnellingerhat program are you in?

I am in the Biostatistics SM2 80-credit program.

Tell us about the path that brought you to Boston and our Department, including how you became interested in Biostatistics and Computational Biology.

My undergraduate degree was in Biomedical Engineering, but my school emphasized research more so than applications. I had done work with some small-scale animal trials and human trials, but wanted more experience in industry, so after graduating I moved to Boston to work for a contract research organization in the biopharmaceutical industry. My job focused on programming, but I worked closely with biostatisticians as well, which got me interested in the Biostatistics program at HSPH.

What do you like best about the Department, School, and/or Boston?

Everyone in the department and school is very supportive, and I enjoy meeting people with a variety of backgrounds and interests. 

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?  In 20 years?

In 5 years, I hope to be involved in research at the intersection of biostatistics and public health. Ideally I’d like to start out as a statistician for a smaller scale research projects, and then work my way up to larger projects. I’d also like to get more involved in teaching. Hopefully both of these things can continue for at least 20 years!

Is there something unusual about you that you’d like everyone to know?

I minored in American Sign Language (ASL) in college, and try to use it as much as I can! If anyone would like to practice or learn ASL, let me know!