Career Development Series Events
This series picks up where general career development resources at HSPH and Harvard leave off, and provides the necessary focus that is specific to our students in biostatistics, health data science, computational biology and quantitative genetics. Students and faculty are welcome to contribute ideas via this sheet or by contacting Dr. Erin Lake.
Tonight at 6 pm EST!
Diverse Interests with a Common Theme: Learning from Data in 2021
Monday, March 22, 2021
Zoom Link | password: statcareer | +1 301 715 8592
* This event will take place in the evening in order to accommodate students across different time zones.
Save the date and please join this wonderful panel of alumni with incredibly diverse interests and roles. Learn from Dongzhengyang ‘Ray’ An (SM HDS ’20, Google), Nancy Zhang (SM CBQG ’18, Gingko Bioworks), Christina Nurse (PhD Biostat ’17, Takeda), Michelle Zemplenyi (PhD Biostat ’20, Urban Ocean Lab), and Jeremiah Liu (PhD ’19, Google Research) as they share their experiences, educational and professional paths, insights and advice…as well as their favorite programming languages! Several of these panelists will also share insights from the international student/applicant perspective.
Lunchtime Career Chat with Dr. Kathryn Roeder
Thursday, March 25, 2021
Zoom Link | password: 499349 | +1 929 436 2866
Please join our next invited colloquia speaker, Dr. Kathryn Roeder, for a ‘Lunchtime Career Chat’ to hear about her unique career path, as well as insights and advice she has for students and postdocs like you!
A tradition was begun in our department several years ago that continues to present times! Lunchtime Career Chats are specifically geared toward open, career-based discussions that students and postdocs can have with our invited speakers that they might not otherwise have a chance to have by attending just the colloquia talks which are focused on research. These professionals are coming from academic, government, industry and other sectors and are a wealth of knowledge and experience. Don’t miss a chance to connect with and learn from Dr. Roeder on Thursday!
Ongoing Career Development Resources
* HSPH and GSAS international students may visit the Harvard International Office (HIO) for information or to attend HIO office hours.
* SM and PhD students can access the Office of Career and Professional Development, and visit virtual drop-in hours as well as view upcoming events and HSPH HIO office hours via the OCPD career development canvas site (link included in their newsletter each week).
* All members of the department may connect to the Department of Biostatistics/Alumnae section of the LinkedIn network.
* Visit the department Slack channels (see earlier emails from department with link) for internship and job opportunities. The Slack channels are updated regularly and serve as a bank of announcements and opportunities that the department receives on an ongoing basis (such announcements are not generally sent out by email).
* All students can find interesting reads and keep up with the field via sources including but not limited to ASA’s publications such as Amstat News, STATtrak, and the popular This is Statistics site.
* Students in the department should try to maintain a current CV/resume (depending on your degree program and job application needs), and can find initial help with this by making appointments through the offices noted above.
– If you have suggestions for this seminar series, please contact Dr. Erin Lake.