ASA JEDI Outreach Group Webinar w. Loni Tabb – 4/28

Justice Equity Diversity and Inclusion spring webinar flyerThursday, April 28 | 2:00pmRegister HereAlumna Loni Tabb, PhD ’10Associate Professor of Biostatistics in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at Drexel University’s Dornsife School of Public Health

The Power of Representation:My Journey to the Field of Biostatistics (The Journey Continues…)From Patsie to Annie

Representation matters. Representation in the field of biostatistics, as well as other science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) related fields, is not only necessary to ensure the pipeline of talented students is as diverse and inclusive as possible, but, without it, our field will be limited in being able to make tremendous advancements in addressing the many public health, medical, and social challenges that plague our societies. During this lecture, I will share my journey to the field of biostatistics and the pivotal role of women – especially Black women – during my training and career. Not only will this space allow for transparency in the process of my growth as a biostatistician, but it will hopefully serve as a platform to shed light into the various peaks and valleys of my own career development. Topics of discussion will not stop at the importance of representation – the significance of mentoring and fostering inclusive environments as a cultural norm will also be discussed. Lastly, the lecture and Q & A will allow for discussions around the role systems and structures play in all of these aspects to ensure our field is better positioned moving forward in addressing the inequities in our own field – from education and training to even retirement.