Information for New and Teaching Faculty

The Academic Programs Office in the Department of Health Policy and Management has put together the following resources to assist new faculty members with questions regarding teaching and advising.  We hope that you find this information to be helpful. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to reach out to Jen Moltoni (

Information for Faculty Advisors

HPM Faculty – Objectives of Academic Advising:

HPM Faculty Advising – Expectations, Meeting Guidelines, Student Policies and Resources:

HPM Faculty – Resources for Advisors:

Information for Teaching Faculty

HPM Teaching Faculty – Information and FAQ:

HPM Teaching Faculty:  Need a TA?  This is how it works:

HSPH Teaching Faculty  Resources:  Teaching Support from the Office of Education:

Teaching Supports & Learning Strategies

HPM Teaching Faculty:  Tips for completing your annual Course Offering Form

If you are teaching an HPM course, each year you will be asked to review and update a course offering form for the class that you are teaching.  Nicole Pires will be the person that emails this form to you.  Here are a few tips to keep in mind when reviewing your course offering form:

  • Please be sure that you have specified the number of students that you expect to have in your class.
  • Please be sure you have selected any of the grading basis that you will permit for your class (Ordinal, Pass/Fail, Audit). If you do not specify Audit, students will not be able to officially audit your class.
  • Please be sure that you specify your room preference.
    • Each year, the Registrar’s Office assigns rooms to courses based off the room type preference you’ve selected and the enrollment capacity that you have selected. The Registrar’s system runs an algorithm using that information, and the class schedule to optimize space utilization in the school.  In doing so it does not factor previous years’ assignments into its decision.
    • You are welcome to let Nicole know if you have a specific room preference, however, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to have that space.
  • If you have any minor changes to your course description, please note them. If you have major changes, please keep in mind that these changes might need to be reviewed by the CEP for approval.
  • If you are planning to change the timing of your course (quarter/semester, day of week, or time of day), please make sure that Nicole Pires knows. She will need to see how the new course time that you are hoping for will fit into our overall course schedule for the academic year, and if it can be accommodated.
  • If for any reason you will not be able to teach your course in the upcoming academic year, please let Nicole know as soon as possible.
  • If you would like your course to be enrolled via “Instructor Permission Only,” please note this in the “Consent Required” area of the form.
  • If there are any prerequisites needed to take your course, please note these, and note whether or not these prerequisites can be taken concurrently with your course.
  • Please take a look at the Course Component Definition Sheet. Has your course been categorized correctly?  If not, please note this change on your course offering form.

If you have any questions at all about completing your course offering form, please contact Nicole Pires at

Student Support:  Notes from the Office of Student Affairs

Below is a summary of the University’s guidance on best practices for identification and referral of students in distress.

(adapted from Harvard University’s Student Health Coordinating Board brochure)

Identify Warning Signs
-deterioration of physical appearance or personal hygiene
-excessive fatigue or sleep difficulties
-exaggerated behaviors
-unprovoked anger or hostility
-irritability, anxiety or tearfulness

Engage the Student
-talk with the student in person
-acknowledge and validate their concerns
-listen patiently and carefully
-withhold judgment
-remind students that there are trained professionals on campus to specifically assist students in distress

Making Appropriate Referrals
-acknowledge and explain the limits of your own knowledge and experience
-help students understand that your referral does not replace your own concern and willingness to provide support as their faculty
-help students understand that it is your intention that the student get the appropriate support
-if the student’s situation seems acute, offer to make the referral appointment with HUHS Mental Health Services on their behalf
-in a non-emergency situation, please feel free to refer them to the Office for Student Affairs

-realize that your offer of referral may be rejected
-leave the conversation in such a way that may allow you to raise it again, after some time has passed

Campus Resources
If you have immediate concerns about a student’s well-being, stay with the student and call HUHS Mental Health Services 617.495.5711 and indicate you wish to report an urgent mental health issue. Or you may contact the University Police Department at 617.495.1212.

In a non-emergency situation, please feel free to recommend that a student come to meet with Leah Kane, Director of Student Affairs, or Stacey Herman, Associate Dean for Student Services.  We can address their or your concerns., 617-432-0488, Kresge G4

To be helpful, here are two documents that the Office of Student Affairs have made available to faculty:

Dos and Don’ts:  This is a resource sheet with guidance about working with students in the classroom, specifically, with those who may be seeking an accommodation.

Student Support Resources (August 2017):  This is an easy reference guide to support resources available to our students here at the Harvard Chan School and across Harvard University.

If you ever have any questions or concerns about student support issues, please feel free to reach out to:

Office for Student Affairs (OSA)
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Phone:  617.432.1036