In the event that the school needs to be evacuated, please expect the following:
- The alarm system will sound a pre-signal, a series of four tones at approximately one second intervals.
- The alarm system will then provide a taped message that will announce “Attention Please. The signal tone you have just heard indicated a report of an emergency in this building. If your floor evacuation signal sounds after this message, walk to the nearest stairway and leave the floor. While the report is being verified, occupants on the other floors should await further instruction.”
- If your floor is being evacuated, the alarm will then commence a “slow whoop” tone as the evacuation signal.
- Proceed to the nearest stairwell and toward the building exit. Detailed evacuation procedures are attached to the entrance doors of your department, center or office. Never take the elevator.
- Make your way to the evacuation assembly area for your building:
- For individuals located in the Kresge, SPH1 and SPH2 buildings, go to the Countway Plaza.
- For individuals located in the FXB building, go to the Huntington Avenue/Palace Lot.
- Once a building is declared safe, authorities will tell those in the assembly area that they may re-enter their building.
Individuals with Disabilities
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is committed to the safety and wellbeing of its community and understands that during emergencies, evacuating a building could be difficult especially when in need of assistance. We encourage those requiring evacuation assistance to self-identify with HU Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) and HSPH Security by downloading and completing an Emergency Evacuation Self-Identification Form. Please click on the following link to this form to download the form, and email it to the HSPH Security Team, or you may deliver it to the FXB Entrance Security Station.
Once the Emergency Evacuation Self-Identification Form is received, EH&S will work with the individual to develop an evacuation plan tailored to the specific needs of the self-reporter. This information is then added to the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health security and fire notification systems to inform first responders of individuals requiring special assistance during a building evacuation event.
In the event of a building evacuation incident, HCSPH Security will notify Boston Fire Department (BFD) regarding the person in need of assistance and their designated location. BFD will then respond to the designated location and evacuate the individual if required.
If you would like to reach out to EH&S Team directly, please find the following link to our Emergency Contacts and Procedures page, https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/operations/emergency-phone-numbers/, where you will find their contact information.