The Department of Information Technology has created the following checklist to pose various questions that each lab should consider.
The questions below are a starting point for beginning conversation with your trusted advisors in the IT department. Each question can surely lead to more questions, and we are here to help. Please do not hesitate to contact us for clarification and more information on the following topics:
What Harvard Data Security Level is my research going to fall under?
- Do we need our own “private” network space? (this is known as a “private vlan”)
What are my networking needs?
- Wired vs. wireless
- Will we need any “static ip address” assignments?
Where will my lab store our data?
- The S: drive
Can lab members use their own personal computers to perform Harvard research?
- RISK – security tool-set not installed
- Crowdstrike software, encryption, asset tracking
What is the right structure to organize our data?
- Records Management Office can help!
How do we make sure that research data from departed staff is kept long enough to maintain compliance?
- A good file naming convention and folder structure reviewed or created in conjunction with RMS is the answer