Despite having great support in the Joint Committees of Public Health and Healthcare Finance, S.1525/H.4271 did not pass in the House Committee of Ways and Means this year. The bill ran into a hitch when the committee ran out of time at the end of the session. We thank you for your advocacy and support of the bills and are saddened to hear the news that they did not move forward this session in Massachusetts.
We will not be giving up, and are excited to be back in action on this campaign next year!
Thank you Massachusetts Representative Khan and Senator Rush for being champions of bills to protect young people from dangerous weight loss and muscle-building supplements.
Introduced by Massachusetts Representative Kay Khan and Senator Michael Rush in the 2023-2024 Massachusetts legislative session, An Act protecting children from harmful diet pills and muscle-building supplements (H.2215/S.1465), would protect kids from dangerously underregulated over-the-counter diet pills and muscle-building supplements by restricting the sale to adults 18 years or older.
- Massachusetts Out of Kids’ Hands Fact Sheet
- Massachusetts H.2215/S.1465 At a Glance
- Partner organization support letter for H.2215/S.1465
- Partner organization support letter for H.4271/S.1525
- Letter in support of Massachusetts H.2215/S.1465 from The Micheli Center for Sports Injury Prevention, at Boston Children’s Hospital
- Letter in support of Massachusetts H.2215/S.1465 from Jason M. Nagata, MD, MSc
- Letter in support of Massachusetts H.2215/S.1465 from professional figure skating coaches and officials from the Skating Club of Boston in Norwood, MA
- Letter in support of Massachusetts H.2215/S.1465 from fitness industry professionals
- Letter in support of Massachusetts S.1525/H.4271 from former supplements sales representatives and store manager
- Joint Committee Alert on Massachusetts H.4271/S.1525
- Protecting Massachusetts’ Future by Improving Health and Safety for Children